Ahh, comfort food. Sometimes you just need it. It’s good for the soul, y’know.
But it’s summer! And comfort food will make me podgy! Well, how about a creamy soup? You can even substitute full-fat cream out for low-fat alternatives and it’ll still do the trick and it’s very low in those naughty carbs, so you don’t have to feel guilty.
It’s a great recipe for when you have a couple of friends round – quick and easy to make, yet satisfying. And it doesn’t cost the earth, either. Make sure you cook a bit too much so you can have it for lunch the next day.
- 500g Tuscan sausage, crumbled (really, any nicely flavoured sausages will do just fine)
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 4 small turnips, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups kale, torn
- 1 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a big soup pot, brown your sausage over a low to medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and turnips and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add kale and cream, season to taste, and simmer for another 15 minuets.
- Serve up and dunk some crunchy bread in there.